Monday, April 30, 2018

Three: Old City Jerusalem

As we walked from our hotel towards the Jaffa Gate and our first steps into the Old City the walls begin to appear, ancient, golden, imposing. As soon as you enter the Gate, you are on David Street, a busy market with shops that sell religious items, souvenirs, maps, snacks, fresh squeezed juice and maps. Then you begin to pass into the Souk, a covered bazaar lined with shops and teeming with people. Watch your step on the cobbles and stairs. 

We followed signs, passing beautiful doorways and alleys, jewelry, leather, and embroidered goods, to a small side street that led to Ha-Kotel, the Western Wall. Once their, yelling men directed me to the Women's side. I washed my hands at an ancient well, and simply walked to the wall - where once both my mother and my daughter have been. I had some things to say there, among the crowd of women - at the wall, and in chairs. Then, I had a smiling picture taken - joyful to be here.

Click on the arrow to see a slide show of some of what we saw on this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment