Sunday, April 29, 2018

ISRAEL: Getting there and Day One April 10, 2018


I was nervous about going to Israel. I haven't flown in three years and I haven’t been out of the country for 10. At the same time I was thrilled to finally take the trip we've talked about for years. Our plan was to travel on our own - no tours, no car rentals.
To add to the stress, our El Al ticket details were changed several times in the days preceding our flight. Hank patiently and efficiently followed through with all the details.
I had the ultimate travel wardrobe, a guide book, travel apps, reservations and my camera cleared for endless photos. I may  have been nervous, but I was ready.
Corey arrived - in charge of the dogs and the house, we were off to PDX - JetBlue to JFK.
As soon as I got to the airport, I calmed down, enjoyed two thorough pat-downs at security, bought outrageously expensive bottles of water and a steamed bun, took my tabacum tablets (don’t leave home without them), and boarded the plane. I slept most of the way.

JFK to Ben Gurion – Tel Aviv
From Getty Images 
The scene at the international security gate at JFK resembled a herd of cattle moving along the lines. There were many Chasidic Jews among the crowd, headed back to Israel after Passover. In fact, there was an entire yeshiva of at least 200 boys, 14 – 18, dressed in traditional black coats, velvet yarmulkes, tall black hats, and immaculate white shirts with fringes hanging and pais dangling. This gangly, rambunctious group were all on our flight, in the back, with us. We had the very last seats in the rear – claustrophobia row. 

From the start, the boys were the entertainment. Since all came in wearing hats, several carrying hat boxes as well, the hats, the coats, the hatboxes, the luggage - all had to fit into the already packed overhead compartments.  

My mother’s Israel 1989 journal mentioned that on their El Al trips, religious men would stand for morning and evening prayers. On our flight, all the boys and all the men, three times, got up, opened the bins, retrieved coats and big hats, put them on and stood in the aisles and prayed. Then, off with the coats and hats, back into the bins, back into seats. This was a bumpy flight. They may have been pious, but they were also lively, creating havoc for exasperated flight staff. Anyway, they were a distraction. And I miraculously slept a great deal. We arrived at 5:00 AM Israel time. The sun had not yet risen.
Once through customs, Coffee – no Starbucks! Yes airport cafes with fresh baked breads and pastry. Taxi in the grey early morning to beautiful Hotel GilGal.

Too early to check in, we headed to the beach two blocks away, and, fairly exhausted, I took off my shoes, rolled up my pants and walked into the Mediterranean. My tiredness washed away - I never had jet lag. 

Photo from Museum Site

After settling in, we decided to walk to the Tel Aviv Museum of Art to see the collection of Israeli Art and The Modern and Contemporary paintings including work by many of my favorite painters. It is an extraordinary collection in an exquisite space. I absolutely loved the paintings – I saw works I knew, works I didn’t know by painters I did, and work by Kees Van Dongen, whose paintings of women – faces, and hat, I love, and have never seen real before. I spotted a lovely painting by Toulouse Lautrec – like seeing a familiar face in a crowd. And many beauties by Marc Chagall. 
From Museum Site

IIn one space there were four entirely different Picassos, shown together. In every way - the work in each exhibit was perfectly presented, ordered and shown – organized by color, theme, strokes, feeling, instead of by artist. This enhanced every aspect of the work and the experience. I was impressed.
While on the way to the museum, we realized that today, April 12 was Holocaust Remembrance Day: As we took our first walk through this new city, we kept hearing the intense roar of jet planes. Holy crap – We just got here and its war!  At an angle between buildings, we saw what we were hearing – group after group of F18 fighter jets zooming across the sky. As we joined the people peering up, a woman behind me, tapped me on the shoulder and said “don’t worry – it’s only the army doing a display in honor of the day.” I have to say, it felt pretty great to see the demonstration of strength.
In the evening we found a nearby restaurant – the least good meal of the trip, and went back to the beach to watch the sunset and the wonderfully varied crowds out for a stroll, walk, bike ride, jog, or swim on a gorgeous Tel Aviv evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment