Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Time to Go

Today is 6.9.15, a pleasing number. My son was born on 3.18.81 so I have always considered these multiple of three dates good luck. I hope so, because we are taking off again this morning. As exciting as it is to leave on another adventure, I am writing at 6 am because I can't sleep.I can attest that the birds started singing at 5:30 - but not at 4:30.

Prepping for this trip was easier than last time simply because we now know what we are doing and what needs to be done. As we traveled last winter, H and I developed a great rhythm for taking care of what needed to be done, quickly and efficiently. This has carried over so that packing and planning is fairly seamless.  I am also pleased to note an advantage to total home leaving means that my refrigerator gets cleaned several times a year. This in itself makes travel worthwhile.

Traveling in summer will be different in many ways from snow-birding. One thing for sure, especially once school is out, there will be more competition for camping spots, more people around (no parks to ourselves seems a safe bet), and higher prices for camping and gas. On the plus side, longer days, lots more light ...though if this morning is any indicator, based on my previous tendency to rise with the sun and sleep when its dark, I will be getting lots less sleep.

It would be nice to say that we are traveling lighter this time, but traveling cross country, even in summer requires that we carry clothes for heat, sun, rain, swimming and potential cold. Also, we are going to a wedding so party clothes are included in the mix. Now that we know how much time we have for reading we are carrying an impressive library of books to read and trade. We also know that it is fairly easy to cook great meals in the camper (Shelly in case you forgot). Once again I have packed the pressure cooker, and this time, mostly basics to be rounded out by local produce to be found at farmer's markets along our route.  (Mmmm lobster, raspberries, home grown tomatoes.)

My  art supply kit IS lighter this trip. I learned that in spite of my most creative intentions, I have little time and less focus for making art. My camera is my creative companion. The pictures I took last winter have provided endless inspiration for me and for my students.

Speaking of which - the time we have been home has been as busy and as full as my time on the road. I like this idea of interweaving travel and teaching, making art and thinking about the art I will create. Since I have been home my teaching schedule has been full, and my studio filled with work in progress. I hung a show of my own work last week, as well as a display of student art at MAC. I entered my senior's work into a contest, and got juried into a new show set for the fall. Not bad for three months. Now I will have some fallow time before I return in August to teach several workshops and prepare for the show in October. I like this ... keeping busy keeps me happy and focused.

So, to quote my dad once again ... We are off, the Captain shouted (and the oars began to leak.)

Wish us well .... and follow our adventures.  By the way, I have fixed this blog so that YOU (dear readers) can respond directly to me in the comments below (at least I hope so.)  Happy summer.














3 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip! I can't wait for more updates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh - a direction from the computer. what next? send? hope for the best? Have a grand trip. I want to see a picture of Mt. Rushmore - you climbing up the nose of Thomas Jefferson like Cary Grant in that Alfred Hitchcock movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Diane. Who nose what can happen at Mt. Rushmore

    ReplyDelete