Sunday, June 21, 2015

All the Way Across (and other stuff)



June 20, 2015

One pill makes me sleepy and the other makes me shake … 

To back up a little, remember the beautiful pool I mentioned in the last post? In that little town in Nebraska where everything was pleasant, a danger lurked that I did not fully understand for two more days when I began to itch. 

First a few spots on my upper thighs appeared, then a spot on my right palm. While driving in Ohio I noticed that the back of my neck not only itched, but was swollen and hot – even my ears were hot. In a smart move I removed my rings and pendant. This turned out to be very smart, because in about an hour the itch on my palm had spread to my whole hand – and then across to my left. That night, I could not sleep for the itching and swelling and welts that were now all over my body. 

A trip to the pharmacy early in the morning recommended Calamine lotion and Claritin. Mild relief only – the welts were on the march – ebbing occasionally and then rushing in again. I really am not sure of the cause of the reaction, but the chlorine in the pool seems to be a likely culprit though it might have been unfamiliar pollen or grasses in any of the lush green parks where we stayed, or it might have been something in the food we ate … I may never know, and neither did either of the doctors I saw on two visits to Urgent Care in Ohio. 
 
Thank goodness for H, who, after noticing that the knuckles in my hands had disappeared, located an office close to Mosquito Creek Park where we were camped. And, thank goodness for modern medicine.  On Tuesday night I was given a shot of a steroid and I told to expect results in a few hours. I was so relieved to think this was over, but I was MUCH worse all night and returned to Urgent Care in the morning for another shot, and a prescription.

 Now, though I am much better, if I am moments late to take my drug cocktail of Prednisone and Benedryl the itching starts again and the welts raise their heads. All of this points to the fact that when traveling anywhere, especially to new, unknown and remote locations (as we like to do) it is important to be aware of the location of medical facilities and be prepared for emergencies. Exactly what this preparedness should look like is an unanswered question, but this experience has reduced my sense of security a little bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
On the plus side, while I rested and reclined on the camper couch, H drove, and yesterday, day ten of our trip, we arrived in the Catskill Mountains in upstate New York, our number one destination. It is such a pleasure to suddenly be in a familiar location, to turn off the GPS and head to H’s favorite place, Cohen’s Bakery.  Then (and only then) did we head to his mom’s home.
Now we are ensconced with family and old friends, and enjoying some needed down time among the trees and birdsong. Family lunch today, fresh berries for dessert.  Also, phone calls to plan for our time and visits while here. Next week we will continue to adventure, adding more states to the 18 we have so far visited in our trusty camper Shelly.  However, this will be home base for the month.
Yay for us, we made it across the country, back to the very place where H and I met and began our adventure together, a cool 41 years ago this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment