Monday, September 14, 2026

Screen Door

 Screen Door 9/5/26

My turn to pick. I'd seen a write up for Screen Door describing Southern food and hospitality - fried chicken, shrimp and grits, pecan pie. Oy. I needed some of that. Also, I was reading Sue Monk Kidd’s The Invention of Wings, so things southern was on my mind.

The restaurant, in the Pearl, was crowded and very noisy. I loved seeing pink and green flowered wallpaper on the side walls that matched an ancient, papered cigar box that belonged to my mother. 

I had wine. We started with hush puppies - crisp with a spicy sweet dipping sauce. H had jambalaya. My chicken dinner was huge. The chicken was perfect - succulent, spicy, crispy. Heavenly mashed potatoes and gravy. Pecan pie for dessert. Too full, too rich, too good.

But too noisy. Great leftovers for us both.

7 of 10 for noise. 10 of 10 for doing what they are known for extremely well. Good service as well.

$108 total

No comments:

Post a Comment