Monday, December 15, 2014

Letting Go

I am blessed with many wise friends, one of whom sent me to an interesting article by Arthur C. Brooks in the Sunday New York Times. The article, Abundance Without Attachment talks about what in the long run really matters to us. My favorite part is, "Collect experiences, not things."  This is certainly the goal of our upcoming journey, but the article also helped me to focus on the dual pull I have been experiencing as departure gets closer.  

Yes I want to go, I can't wait to leave, but I am certainly awash with anxiety about this very leaving. Thinking about attachment has helped me to understand what I am feeling. 

I am attached to the comfort of my home, to the familiar routines, to my family and friends and to the everyday, week and month activities that make my life so rich and interesting. These are exactly the things I need to leave behind (for now); the things I need to detach myself from. In order to do this, I have to head into an unknown adventure.

Why? Because though it seems counterintuitive, it is all this good stuff that holds me in place that I need to leave behind at home, so that I can discover the challenges, changes, new sights and experiences to come that I hope will create memories, growth and learning  to last a lifetime .

No comments:

Post a Comment